President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday appointed Major General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff ( COAS) to replace late Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru.
Here’s what you should know about the new COAS:
1. Prior to his appointment Major General Yahaya was the General Officer Commanding 1 Division of the Nigerian Army
2. He was the Theatre Commander of the counter terrorism military outfit in the North East code named Operation HADIN KAI.
3. He is the 22nd Chief of Army Staff in Nigeria.
4. Major General Farouk Yahaya is also a member of 37 Regular Course of the Nigerian Defense Academy Kaduna.
5. He had also served as Military Secretary (MS) Army at Army headquarters in Abuja before his appointment as GOC 1 division in Kaduna.
6. At one time, he was the Commander of 4 Brigade Headquarters of the Nigerian Army.
7. Yahaya is the third Chief of Army Staff appointed by Buhari.
8. He speaks 4 languages fluently: Spanish, English, Hausa, Arabic and LOVES CRACKING JOKES.
9. He is a Muslim and he’s not scared of charms
10. Farouk Yahaya is 55 years old. Born on 5th January 1966 Bodinga, Sokoto State