Scriptural Facts About Tithes
- Tithes are to be paid by only Jews and only to Levitical priests, because Levites were given no land-Numbers 18:20-21
- You are allowed to use your tithes to buy alcohol for consumption-Deuteronomy 14:24-27
- Gentile Christians were given 4 laws. Tithing was not one of them Acts 15:19-20
- Don’t just read Malachi 3:8-10. Read the whole chapter. God is speaking to only the Jews about agricultural tithes, because Levites are not allowed to own land and farm, and they needed agricultural products for the various Temple sacrifices and for their feeding.
- The disciples and the early Christians never collected tithes. They took free will offerings-Acts 2:44-45
- Abraham did not tithe from his income. He tithed from military plunder, also called spoils of war-Hebrews 7:4
- Not one person in the New Testament who was a believer is recorded as paying tithes
- If a pastor justifies tithing using the Old Testament, ask him or her why they do not also justify polygamy since the Old Testament allows it-2 Samuel 12:8, or slavery-Deuteronomy 20:11, or other extreme forms of punishment for sexual offences-Leviticus 20:13?
- Exodus 20:8-11 says we should keep the Sabbath. Exodus 31:16 says this is an “everlasting” covenant. Why do these churches and pastors insist on tithes, but not on keeping the Sabbath? The Sabbath is kept from the evening of Friday to the evening of Saturday.
- When you give Scriptural references to counter these tithe enthusiasts, they quickly bring in philosophical arguments or cite the Holy Spirit. But, according to 2 Peter 1:20-21, the Holy Spirit will not tell you something contrary to Scripture
Stop saying ‘this matter of tithes is so confusing’. It is not. It is very straightforward and plain. What is confusing are the sleek arguments that your pastors use on you. Forget about arguments. Both mine and your pastors. Open Scripture for yourself. You will see how easy to understand God’s Word is when you don’t go through pastors to reach God.
Gospeller. Deep Thinker. #1 Bestselling author of Facts Versus Fiction: The True Story of the Jonathan Years. Avid traveller. Hollywood Magazine Film Festival Humanitarian of the Year, 2019.